There's a risk / benefit tradeoff here; but it's quite possible to have
SPOOL minidisks at second level with the same virtual VOLSERs as the real
SPOOL volumes so that the, "look and feel" of the updated system is akin to
the production system. It's not how I would have done it but it's perfectly
feasible if it fits ones needs and strategies.

Myself, I've always tended to go for the, "copy the complete minidisk"
strategy - maybe because I date back to the time when all maintenance was
applied with a scalpel (and often very time-consuming) I've never fully
trusted myself to unequivocally identify every file changed by an,
"automatic" maintenance process.

Regards
Jeff

P.S. To Richard --- :-)