  From:       Alan Altmark/Endicott/i...@ibmus

  To:         IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

  Date:       01/05/2010 10:33 AM

  Subject:    Re: 2 to 3 IFLs

  Sent by:    The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

On Tuesday, 01/05/2010 at 12:25 EST, "Harris, Nick J."
<nhar...@txfb-ins.com> wrote:

> According to our performance product we do NOT need an additional IFL at
this
> time but it was included as part of the z10 upgrade so I wanted to
utilize it.

It will be utilized even though you do not define three *virtual* CPUs. CP
will be able to run three virtual CPUs at once instead of only two.  With
virtual 2-ways, you ensure that no single guest is using all three CPUs at
the same time.