Richard Schuh wrote,
>Dennis, You said 16 hours to upload the files. Are you using a 56KB dial-up
>connection?  >My PC is about 1000 miles from the VM system, so I thought it
>might be slower than the >33 minutes it took. I was hoping for something
>better than 16 hours, but I didn't >expect it to be as fast as it was.

I'm using DSL.  I ran a speed test today, and got a download speed of 2555 kbps
and an upload speed of 435 kbps.  The speed test site says the transfer rates
are 319.4 KB/sec and 54.4 KB/sec, respectively.  The zip file for a z/VM 6.1.0
CKD install contains 2,969,835 KB when unzipped.  At 54.4 KB/sec, that would
take 54,593 seconds, or 15 hours.  That assumes no overhead for the Samba
protocol, the VPN server, or anything else.  The speed test site is about 30
miles from my house.  The z/VM system that I upload to is about 2000 miles
away.  Given all that, 16 hours seems quite reasonable.

It's been a long time since I used a 56k modem.  IIRC, they download at 56kbps
but upload at 28kbps.  At that rate, it would take 10 days to do the upload.
I'd be better off driving into the office. :)

                                           Dennis

"See, I'm a man of simple tastes. I like dynamite, and gunpowder... And
gasoline! Do you know what all of these things have in common? They're cheap!"
-- Heath Ledger as The Joker, in The Dark Knight