Mr McDonough,
The z/VM "second level system" is the last bastion of
WildWestSystemProgramming, you can do anything you want, any way you want
.
( as long as it doesn't crash your first-level, of course ).

You have two approaches, really, if you have an LPAR environment availabl
e.

Approach 1 is to create a UserID to be the second-level guest, LEVEL2VM,
or
whatever you like.  Make copies of as many of your first-level volumes as

you need to sufficiently present the "image" of your first-level.  Define

SPECIAL GRAF in your level 2 UserID so you can DIAL to it once you've
gotten it IPL'd.  Then, IPL it, and knock yourself out with whatever you

want to try.

Approach 2 is to do the same, but in a spare LPAR, if you have that luxur
y.

The "Running Guest Operating Systems" manual in the z/VM doc set has some

useful advice, too.

Have fun!