Hi, John.

Yes, it is certainly possible (and legal!) to install SLES11 or RHEL54 on Hercules. If running Linux directly under Hercules (i.e., no z/VM) on a recent 64-bit, 2GHz+ Intel box, performance is acceptable. Of course Hercules does not support some of the newer zArchitecture features that Linux can exploit, e.g., OSA hardware adapters, but that might not be a problem with what you are trying to do.

Have a good one.