From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Schuh, Richard
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:14 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Channel Contention

Currently, we have 3 LPARS, 2 support Linux and 1 for TPF testing. The current
disk configuration is

*         a boatload of big 3390s (27-32MB) are on the Linux LPARs, These are
connected using 4 Ficon channels. The DDRs will be done from one of the Linux
LPARs. There will be two concurrent DDRs for this. These will be full disk
copies. 4 channels to 210 disks.
*         Another boatload of 3330-03s where the TPF test system base disks
reside. These are connected to the third LPAR via 8 ESCON channels to each
array. Since the disks are not the same size, the minidisks will be copied, not
the physical disks. The plan is to have 16 concurrent copies. There are 16
channels serving 437 disks, roughly 15,000 minidisks.
*         The target disks are connected via 4 Ficon channels that are EMIFd to
all LPARs. There is separation of arrays; the TPF and Linux disks are not
intermingled; however, the same 4 channels are shared between the LPARs. There
are only 4 channels.

The question is, will the 4 channels be a bottleneck if both the Linux and TPF
migrations are done concurrently?

Regards,
Richard Schuh