Ivica

2010/2/26 Pluzhnikov Vsevolod <vpluzhni...@croc.ru>

>  Hello, All!
>
> Help me please in understanding the correct way of backup/restore z/VM
> system (on CKD dasd). I’ll need to perform this because of disruptive
> upgrade of our DS8300.
>
> I’m testing now ddrxa.
>
>  Is it possible to define all 3390 mod9 (540RES, 540SPL, 540PAG, USER…)
> dasd to maint  as full-pack minidisks and just backup all of them on tape?

You can, but I suggest a separate user, call it SYSDASD, SYSDISK, or
whatever, with password NOLOG. Let that user own all full pack minidisks.
You don't need any other statements in that user's directory except USER and
MDISK for each full pack. Then link from a worker machine to perform
backups.

> Can I perform a restore with IPL from tape and just typing new dasd in
> output command for restore or it can be done only from z/VM ?

You can restore by IPLing the tape with DDRXA program on it first, and then
mounting data tapes. To create the tape with ICKDSF, DDRXA and DIRECTXA on
it, do UTILITY UTILTAPE ALL or UTILITY UTILTAPE DDR for just DDR after
accessing MAINT 193. Tape needs to be attached as 181 for this. You may also
put the DDR program at the start of your first backup tape using MOVEFILE:

1. Mount scratch tape and attach it to your machine as 181
2. Do the following commands:
REW 181
FILEDEF IN DISK IPL DDRXA S
FILEDEF OUT TAP1 (RECF F LRECL 80 BLOCK 80
MOVEFILE IN OUT

You may then IPL this tape in your virtual machine for practice or on a real
processor.

Ivica