We've seen these additional differences between SECUSER and OBSERVER
processing -

Secondary user sees message HCP150A when the primary is disconnected and
VM or CP read is issued, observer does not.

It doesn't appear that an OBSERVER, even with class C SEND, can satisfy a
VM read issued by a disconnected user. On our system, the SEND is honored,
but everything is processed by CP on the target user, whereas with
SECUSER, the input is passed to the guest unless sent with SEND CP.

I know that's poorly worded. Example:

USERA has USERB as SECUSER, is disconnected, RUN ON, and issues a VM READ.
USERB (with or without class C) does "SEND USERA Q DISK" and sees the
normal CMS Q DISK output.

USERA has USERB as OBSERVER, is disconnected, RUN ON, and issues a VM
READ. USERB (who has class C) does "SEND USERA Q DISK" and sees
"HCPCQV003E Invalid Option - DISK".

Steve

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010, Alan Altmark wrote:

> Off the top of my head:
>
> Secondary user
> - Can use CP SEND to the primary
> - Only sees console output of primary when primary is disconnected
> - Class G secondary can SEND only when primary is disconnected
> - Class C secondary can SEND at any time
> - Traffic to primary's *MSG connection is stopped while secondary is
> logged on
>
> Observer
> - Cannot SEND to the observed virtual machine ("observee")
> - Sees all console traffic without regard to connect/disconnect status of
> the observee
> - Does not interfere with observee's *MSG traffic
>
> And as you note, the programming characteristics via *MSG are different
> for the observer and the secondary user.

-- Steve Marak
-- sama...@gizmoworks.com