On Mar 6, 2010, at 11:53 AM, esst...@juno.com wrote:

> IBM REDBOOKS have been a wealth of information for Years. I have always
> directed new bees to the ABCs of MVS (all 12 Volumes).
>
> Without naming names I have it on good authority that IBM intended to stop
> developing the "REDBOOK" Series of publications. My contact at IBM, stated
> that other IBMers displayed there resentment to continuing the IBM REDBOOKS.
>
> Apparently the Bean Counters at IBM only understand numbers. How does one put
> a $$$$$ Value on Intellectual Capital ?
>
> The Discontinuance of the REDBOOK Series  has been postponed to 2011. 2010
> will be the last Year for any New IBM REDBOOKS.
>

> You Comments

My comment?

I simply don't believe it.

Too many product organizations use Redbooks as ways to get product information
out to the field in ways that are approachable and usable. Stuff they can't put
in product documentation about how the product really gets used, or how it
works with specific other products, works great as Redpieces.

Now, if someone is claiming that RedBOOKs, as things on paper, are going away,
I can see that. I've been using PDFs, not paper books, for years now. But
that's a mutation or an evolution of the program, not the death of the concept.

Nick