On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 08:52:35 -0500, Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com

wrote:

>The standard defines "alphabetic" as A-Z (actually, A, B, C, D, etc. to
>avoid confusion) and "numeric" as 0-9.
>
>So, our existing labeling programs that allow blanks in the middle of
>labels (very annoying) and characters that aren't the same in all code
>pages (@ is one) are permitted under the grandfather clause, but they
>aren't compliant.

It is interesting to compare the documentation for what is allowed by
ICKDSF, CPFMTXA, and the CMS FORMAT command.

 ICKDSF: "1 to 6 alphanumeric characters"

 CPFMTXA: "1-character to 6-character name. (The characters need not be

alphanumeric.) Embedded blanks are not allowed."

 CMS FORMAT: "one to six numeric (0-9) or alphabetic (A-Z) characters, or

both." and "Note: Special characters, such as “(” or ‘’ (blank) a
re valid
in a label with FORMAT, but may not be valid in other VM commands."

Brian Nielsen