On Friday, 04/02/2010 at 11:04 EDT, Edward M Martin <emar...@aultman.com>
wrote:
> Yep, and remember the commercials about how someone ?stole? the servers,
and it
> turned out they were all together on the IBM Blade servers.  You do not
see any
> commercials for any IBM z boxes or z software.

There has been one:  Back in 2007-2008, there was "The Grail" from IBM's
"Stop Talking, Start Doing" campaign.  (Not to be confused with a 2004 IBM
infrastructure ad of the same name.)

In it the shady-looking blackhats are gathered 'round a pickup truck
containing System z9 (see nameplate in slo-mo).  The Brawn is happy,
knowing it has millions of credit card numbers and PIN numbers.  The Brain
note "it's got cryptographic co-processors, RACF, logon encryption; I
can't break this."   (Let us *assume* that the disk drives are in a 2nd
off-camera truck.)

This commercial was unusual in that it talked about a specific software
product that wasn't in the Tivoli, Rational, DB2, Websphere, or Lotus
brands.

While the original "Heist" commercial featured a z900 (I think - based on
stripe), neither the it nor mainframes in general were mentioned.  (The
"Heist II" series of commercials featured BladeCenter.)