From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 5:11 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: SFTP versus FTPS

On Friday, 07/23/2010 at 04:41 EDT, Edward M Martin
<emar...@aultman.com>
wrote:
> Ok I need some comments and guidance.  FTP using the SSH is not what
we
want, I
> believe.

That is called "sftp" and is what the IBM Ported Tools gives you.

> We want FTP/SSL or FTPS (implicit SSL).  Which from my earlier
question
about
> FTP and TCP/IP on z/OS is not in the BASE TCP/IP suite.

z/OS *does* include FTP/SSL (via System SSL) and FTPS (via AT-TLS).
There
may be other FMIDs that have to be installed.  I'm not an MVS guru.

> Alan this statement would  this be the part of the IBM PORTED Tools
that
you
> are talking about (see below).
>
> If it is then, That would SFTP and not the FTP/SSL (FTPS) that we
require.

>> TCP/IP is part of z/OS Communications Server (nee VTAM). It is not a
part of
>> the base z/OS. It is a charge feature of z/OS. "sftp" is available
for
z/OS,
>> but must be ordered. It is part of the OpenSSH port ( 5655-M23). It
is
free.
>> This version of sftp only support z/OS UNIX files.

I don't worry too much about the fact that you can "snap out" things
like
RACF and TCP/IP.  You really need to talk to your in-house z/OS folks to

know what they have/haven't ordered/installed.

> ?.  SFTP, for our purposes here at <name removed> , is for Implicit
SSL
> connections.  FTPS, is for SSH connections which we don?t accept at
all
in
> fact. ?

Feel free to correct them.  SFTP has only one meaning: file transfer
using
an ssh tunnel.  FTPS can be either RFC 4217 (dynamic) or implicit SSL (a

la https).  Some ftps clients are smart enough to connect in clear-text
and find out if the server supports RFC 4217 and, if not, disconnect and

reconnect with implicit SSL.

But given that a lot of people don't believe or know that FTP is secure
(they live in the distant past), they feel free to use sftp and ftps and

'secure ftp' interchangeably.  I even saw a web browser incorrectly
process an ftp:// URL, using "binary" transfers for text data, on the
bogus assumption that they are the same.  Morons.