Yes, this is true.  RACF manages the updates to the shared database
using the reserve/release functions of the DASD control unit.  So, a
reserve issued by RACF must flow to the real control unit, so that any
reserve issued by another system would be rejected until a release is
done.  And, CP only issues a hardware RESERVE to a volume only when
all of these conditions are met:
(a) the device is a full-pack minidisk
(b) the MDISK has link mode MWV
(c) the device is marked as 'shared' whether by SET SHARED or via
RDEVICE statement in SYSTEM CONFIG

A dedicated device works also.  CSE (xlink) is *not* sufficient (or
required for RACF), because that only controls links to minidisks, not
reserve/release on a multiple-write minidisk.

--
Bruce Hayden
z/VM and Linux on System z ATS