On Tuesday, 09/07/2010 at 11:25 EDT, Graves Nora E <nora.e.gra...@irs.gov>
wrote:
> I really like the ability to search every book on the bookshelf for the
> occurrence of what I'm looking up.  I've been known to search the older
> versions first if the latest versions are only available in PDF (DB2 for
> z/VM books in particular).  Once I narrow down the search, then I'll go
> to the latest version of the book to find the current information.
>
> IMO, that's one of the things that has made the IBM documentation so
> much more user-friendly than what is supplied by other vendors.

That is what I do with the Information Center at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zvm/v6r1/index.jsp.  It searches
all the books.  I agree that it isn't perfect by any means and, yes, as
others have said, some of the VM books have antiquated TOCs that don't do
well in an "e-environment," but they suffer in Bookmanager, too.   I don't
like going to a section 1.1 only to find that it is a single sentence or
tiny paragraph with links to 1.1.1, 1.1.2, and 1.1.3.

And then some books have the same section titles, which can be confusing.
E.g. the TCP/IP User's Guide and the LDAP Admin book both have a section
titled "SSL Certificate/Key Management and SSL Tracing Information." But,
again, that's nothing specific to Information Center.

I'm also not a fan of books with Part 1, 2, 3, etc, unlessf you've got a
2000-page book split into multiple PDFs as the IEEE does for large
standards.

I am going to be honest and say that, so far, I haven't seen a compelling
reason that IBM should continue to invest in generating BOOK files. What
you *have* convinced me of is that a portion of any contemplated savings
should be redirected to improvements in:
- TOC simplification and consistency (avoid useless divisions of
information)
- PDF bookshelf and search enhancements
-  Better education within the context of the Library on how to
effectively access it with available tools.  I mean, I had just learned
about the Advanced Linguistic Plug-in a few days before Michael Forte and
others posted on the subject..  "Who knew?"
- A Linux version of the Information Center
- Better bulk packaging of the Library so that it is easily moved around.
- New formats for mobile and e-book devices.  There oughtta be an app for
that, eh?
- Tools to transform BOOK files into reasonable PDFs, even if only a
meager EXPORT function in BookManager READ.
and that it might be good to have some of these addressed before BOOKs are
removed.

In the interests of full disclosure, I too use BOOK files and shelves for
some of the same reasons as many of you do and am not looking forward to
learning new tricks. (woof!!)