There's several things not to like about the exec, but this was written b
a novice co-worker on a pre-pipeline system.  While presented "as written
"
may not be optimal, it preserved the date of authorship.

Brian Nielsen

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:59:18 +0200, Kris Buelens <kris.buel...@gmail.com>

wrote:

>As I disliked some parts in the sample below (like playing with SPOOL
>CONSOLE simply to avoid CP command output on the screen)
>
>When playing with CP SCREEN VMOUT, proceed as follows.  Sample subroutin
e:
>SayRed:
> 'CONWAIT'   /* Tell CMS to send out any buffered screen output */
> 'PIPE CP Q SCREEN!SPEC 40-* 1!Var OldColor'
> call diag 8,'SCREEN VMOUT RED' /* Change settings, silently */
> say arg(1)
> 'CONWAIT'   /* Tell CMS to send out any buffered screen output */
> call diag 8,'SCREEN' oldcolor /* Restore, silently */
>return
>
>2010/10/12 Brian Nielsen <bniel...@sco.idaho.gov>
>
>> Here's another old REXX exec a prior co-worker wrote, named RAINBOW

EXEC,
>> dated 5/6/1985!
>>
>> Brian Nielsen
>>

>> /*  builds a rainbow across the screen    */
>> clrscrn
>> colors='red yellow green blue'
>> spacing='65 60 56 52 48 45 42 39 37 35 34 33'
>>   clrscrn
>>   j=words(spacing)
>>   k=words(colors)
>>   DO i=1 to j
>>      color=word(colors,i//k+1)
>>      sp console start noterm
>>      CP SCREEN VMO color
>>      sp console stop
>>      SAY copies(' ',word(spacing,i))'XXX'
>>   END
>>   sp console start noterm
>>   CP SCREEN VMO TUR
>>   sp console stop
>>   SAY '                               ______   '
>>   SAY '                              (      )  '
>>   SAY '                             (        ) '
>>   SAY '                            (__________)'
>>   pull answer
>>   sp console start noterm
>>   cp screen all none
>>   sp console purge stop
>>   sp console close
>>   clrscrn
>>

>> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 13:25:52 -0500, Mike Walter <mike.wal...@hewitt.co
m>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >We run IBM's PComm and are testing Bluezone.  Both display underscore

and
>> >even blinking underscore.
>> >
>> >Mike Walter
>> >Aon Hewitt
>> >The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.
>> >
>> >Here's an old exec to display colors, named "COLORS EXEC" and dated:
>> >10/17/90 15:45:39
>> >
>> >*  SHOW ALL OF THE COLORS - STEVE MCLAUGHLIN
>> >&B2  = &LEFT OF &BLANK 2
>> >&B3  = &LEFT OF &BLANK 3
>> >&B33 = &LEFT OF &BLANK 33
>> >&B34 = &LEFT OF &BLANK 34
>> >EXECIO * CP (ST Q SCR
>> >&READ ARGS
>> >&CPO1 = &LEFT OF &2 3
>> >&CPO2 = &LEFT OF &3 3
>> >&VMO1 = &LEFT OF &5 3
>> >&VMO2 = &LEFT OF &6 3
>> >&C = &CONCAT  OF &B2 CPO ==> &CPO1 - &CPO2
&amp;B3 VMO ==> &VMO1 -
&VMO2
>> &B3
>> >&READ ARGS
>> >&INR1 = &LEFT OF &2 3
>> >&INR2 = &LEFT OF &3 3
>> >&INA1 = &LEFT OF &5 3
>> >&INA2 = &LEFT OF &6 3
>> >&C = &CONCAT  OF &C  INR ==> &INR1 - &INR2
&amp;B3 INA ==> &INA1 -
&INA2
>> &B3
>> >&READ ARGS
>> >&STA1 = &LEFT OF &2 3
>> >&STA2 = &LEFT OF &3 3
>> >&C = &CONCAT  OF &C  STA ==> &STA1 - &STA2
>> >CLRSCRN
>> >&NEXT-COLOR = 0
>> >&LOOP 10 7
>> >      &NEXT-COLOR = &NEXT-COLOR + 1
>> >      &COLOR = &WORD OF BLU RED GRE YEL TUR PIN WHI &NE
XT-COLOR
>> >      EXECIO 0 CP (ST SCRE VMO &COLOR NON
>> >      &TYPE  &COLOR &B33 NON &B34 &COLOR
>> >      EXECIO 0 CP (ST SCRE VMO &COLOR UND
>> >      &TYPE  &COLOR &B33 UND &B34 &COLOR
>> >      EXECIO 0 CP (ST SCRE VMO &COLOR BLI
>> >      &TYPE  &COLOR &B33 BLI &B34 &COLOR
>> >      EXECIO 0 CP (ST SCRE VMO &COLOR REV
>> >      &TYPE  &COLOR &B33 REV &B34 &COLOR
>> >EXECIO 0 CP (ST SCRE VMO &VMO1 &VMO2
>> >&TYPE &C
>> >

>> >"Les Koehler" <vmr...@tampabay.rr.com>
>> >
>> >Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
>> >10/12/2010 01:16 PM
>> >Please respond to
>> >"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

>> >IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
>> >cc
>> >
>> >Subject
>> >Re: Highlighting in Rexx
>> >

>> >There are some attributes that a pc simply can't do, like underscore

and
>> >blink.
>> >I certainly wouldn't be surprised if my recently acquired WC3270
emulator
>> >misbehaved in colorizing for VM.

>> >The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documen
ts
>> may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected fr
om
>> disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or
if
>> this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately

alert