The directory is something else that can get out of sync.

One method is to copy the new CPLOAD MODULE to the parm disk as CPNEW MODULE.
From the HMC, enter the address of the console into the Load Parm field and
IPL. When the SALIPL screen is displayed, enter CPNEW as the load module name
and press PF10. At this point fallback is to simply re-IPL the system. Some
time after the IPL, you can rename CPLOAD MODULE to CPOLD MODULE and CPNEW to
CPLOAD. Fallback is to simply repeat the HMC ipl, specifying CPOLD as the
module name. Alternatively, if you have a running system, you can change the
names back to CPNEW and CPLOAD and then ipl.

Regards,
Richard Schuh

________________________________
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of Michael Coffin
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 2:16 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: *Rolling IPL* Style Migration

Hi George,

If you are only using z/VM as a hypervisor for Linux guests (or otherwise don't
have an active CMS user community) this will work.  If you have servers (e.g.
DB2, SFS, etc.) and/or end-users that are updating CMS files - you have to keep
in mind that those will get out of sync on your 2nd level system right after
the spindles are copied.  If you have directory maintenance products (e.g.
VM:Secure, DIRMAINT,etc.) and/or an ESM (e.g. VM:Secure, RACF, etc.) these
products will also get out of sync, so find a way to ensure they stay
synchronized between first and 2nd level systems.

-Mike