From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:ib...@listserv.uark.edu] On Behalf
Of David Boyes
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 10:52
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: [IBMVM] Copying SFS filespaces from one pool to another

On 10/19/10 11:15 AM, "Kris Buelens" <kris.buel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wasn't there a sample EXEC to rename a filespace?  Then you could do the
> rename before the FILEPOOL UNLOAD/RELOAD.

Yes (there's actually a command to do it now: FILEPOOL RENAME), but then you
lose all the authorizations and aliases, and apparently you can't use the
CMS RELOCATE command to move a directory between two filespaces, even in the
same filepool -- or at least I can't construct the right command line for it
to work. There's also no admin version of CREATE ALIAS to create an alias on
behalf of a user, so you can't restore aliases in the new filepool after
you've relocated the files. You can't use CP FOR, because SFS isn't a CP
thing, and short of autologging the user and driving the whole process via
SCIF (thus producing a billable event and a lot of CPU and I/O charged to
the user), there's no way short of scheduling a hands-on session with each
user and a big set of credits to their bills to make this work.

Oh, and by the way, none of the FILEPOOL commands can be used in CMSBATCH,
so you get to leave a privileged id logged in some where for however long it
takes to run the move process. Just to make the process more fun. Grr.

The SFSTOOLS package has a COPYUSER EXEC that Scott Nettleship wrote that
seems to be a pretty good base for starting into writing my own tool. I'll
just modify that -- at least I won't be completely starting from scratch.

What a PITA. Clearly I need to add porting rsync to CMS to my list of things
to be done if IBM is going to continue to impose more SFS/BFS stuff on us.

-- db

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged,
confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please
notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and
attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking
of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this
message is prohibited.
Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a
solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service,
an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of
Sender. Subject to applicable law, Sender may intercept, monitor, review and
retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems and may
produce any such EC to regulators, law enforcement, in litigation and as
required by law.
The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC,
and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the
country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or free of errors or viruses.

References to "Sender" are references to any subsidiary of Bank of America
Corporation. Securities and Insurance Products: * Are Not FDIC Insured * Are
Not Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value * Are Not a Bank Deposit * Are Not a
Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are Not Insured by Any Federal
Government Agency. Attachments that are part of this EC may have additional
important disclosures and disclaimers, which you should read. This message is
subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Sender you
consent to the foregoing.