Yes, tyvm, Michael.

Here is the procedure from Stephen Powell earlier this week to which I
believe you allude.

If I follow this procedure for falback, then, I should be ok?

(1) Open both the Integrated 3270 Console and Operating System Messages
windows
    for the LPAR being IPLed.

(2) Double-click on the LOAD icon in the CPC Recovery Menu while the
desired
    LPAR (and only that LPAR) is selected.

(3) Enter the device number of the volume which contains the SAPL in the
    load address field and SYSG in the LOADPARM field.  Proceeed with
LOAD.

(4) The SAPL will initialize on the Integrated 3270 Console window.  Give
that
    window the focus.

(5) On the SAPL screen, change the module name to ICKSADSF (defaults to
    CPLOAD, of course) and the load origin to 1000 (if it isn't already).
    Then tab down to the IPL PARAMETERS field and type

       CONS=SYSC

    in the data field, wiping out whatever else may have been there
originally.
    Leave no residual characters.  Then press PF10 (F10) to load.

(6) Now switch focus to the Operating System Messages window.  You should
see

    ICK005E DEFINE INPUT DEVICE, REPLY 'DDDD,CUU' OR 'CONSOLE'
    ENTER INPUT/COMMAND:

You should know how to handle it from there.  In short, SAPL
supports SYSG but not SYSC; and ICKDSF supports SYSC but not SYSG!
Therefore, both the Integrated 3270 Console window and the Operating
System Messages window must be used, each for its own task.

There are no real device numbers in SYSTEM CONFIGURATION or DIRECTORY,
only VOLSERs and virtual devices.

So I guess everything in the IPL after the IPL device address is driven by
VOLSER, not device number.

So unique VOLSERs are critical at least at IPL time if not at other times.

Michael Coffin <michaelcof...@mccci.com>
10/20/2010 11:41 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Duplicate VOLSERs at IPL

Relabel your “standby disks”, maybe put an X in the first character. WRITE
DOWN the addresses of your system packs so you have them when you need
them.

If you come up on your packs with maintenance applied and all is well, you
can just recycle those “standby disks” at your convenience.  If there is a
problem, and you find you need to IPL the standby disks, use IPLSADSF on
the PARM disk to relabel packs before IPL’ing (i.e. change your production
540RES to X40RES, and change your X40RES standby disk to 540RES, repeat
for all CP OWNED spindles).

And since we were just discussing this earlier this week, be advised
IPLSADSF only run in line mode on SYSC, it will not run in 3270 mode on
SYSG.  :)

-Mike