On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:41:23 -0400 (EDT), Jim Hughes wrote:

> Is High Level Assembler a "free" part of z/VM 5.4??   I don't see the
> bills and I am very curious.  We are running on a z/890 if it matters.

As Dave Jones has said, no, High Level Assembler is not a "free" part
of z/VM 5.4.  Some products, such as DIRMAINT, ship with
z/VM but they cannot be legally used until you obtain a separate license.
But High Level Assembler does not even ship with z/VM.
There is, of course, the ancient (circa 1975) Assembler XF
(the ASSEMBLE command), which does ship with z/VM.  And its functionality
can be extended by means of macros to define newer instructions.
I have such a MACLIB linked on my home page:

   http://www.wowway.com/~zlinuxman/index.htm

However, if you need things that go beyond the newer instructions,
such as multiple location counters, symbols longer than eight characters,
etc., then Assembler XF simply will not do.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :