Marcy:

The CBDSACT process is definitely the way to go, but if you really want to
know what is going on under the covers, check out the details of CP SET
IOCDS ACTIVE command below and the Lock Step Philosophy writeup from the
Infocenter which follows it below:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zvm/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.zvm.v54.hcpe2/usdynio.htm

PDF

SET IOCDS_ACTIVE

z/VM V5R4.0 CP Commands and Utilities Reference
SC24-6081-07

                     (1)
>>-Set--IOCDS_active-------+-An-+------------------------------><
                           '-Bn-'

Notes:
You must specify one IOCDS file in the range A0 through A5 or B0 through
B5.
Authorization

Privilege Class: B

Purpose

Use SET IOCDS_ACTIVE to change the input/output configuration data set
(IOCDS) file that the processor will use during the next power-on reset
(POR).

Operands

An
Bn
is the file type of the IOCDS file that you want the processor to use
during the next POR. The variable n is a decimal number between 0 and 5.
Usage Notes

Once you issue the SET IOCDS_ACTIVE command to change the active IOCDS
file, the SE automatically puts the new IOCDS file in write-protect mode
for you. This means that no one can make changes to the active IOCDS file.

If the current hardware configuration does not match the IOCDS file that
you specify, CP issues error message HCP6814E and terminates command
processing.
Whenever you issue one of the following dynamic I/O commands:   DEFINE
CHPID DEFINE PATH
  DELETE CHPID DELETE PATH
  MODIFY CHPID MODIFY PATH

  DEFINE CU DEFINE CNTLUNIT
  DELETE CU DELETE CNTLUNIT
  MODIFY CU MODIFY CNTLUNIT

  DEFINE DEVICE DEFINE IODEVICE
  DELETE DEVICE DELETE IODEVICE
  MODIFY DEVICE MODIFY IODEVICE

CP puts you in configuration mode, processes the dynamic I/O command, and
then takes you out of configuration mode.

Before you can use any I/O devices, you must include those devices in the
hardware's and software's view of the I/O configuration.
The software creates its view of the I/O configuration at initialization
either by sensing the I/O device, by reading RDEVICE statements in the
system configuration file, or some combination thereof. After
initialization, you can change the software's view of the I/O
configuration using the SET RDEVICE command (topic SET RDEVICE) or the
dynamic I/O commands listed in Usage Note 3.

The hardware creates its view of the I/O configuration at power-on reset
(POR) time. The I/O configuration is defined in the I/O configuration
program (IOCP) source file that is stored on a user's minidisk (or SFS
directory). You run the IOCP utility against the IOCP source file to
create an I/O configuration data set (IOCDS) file that is stored on the
support element (SE) hard disk. You can have multiple IOCDS files stored
on the SE hard disk. At power-on reset time, you choose the IOCDS file
that you want to use. The specified IOCDS file is copied to the hardware
system area (HSA) storage and becomes the active hardware I/O
configuration. Thus, there are 2 parts to the hardware's view of the I/O
configuration: the active IOCDS file in HSA storage and the IOCDS file on
the SE hard disk.

After the machine is up and running, you can change the hardware's view of
the active I/O configuration using the dynamic I/O commands listed in
Usage Note 3. However, these commands only change the active I/O
configuration in the HSA. They do not change the IOCDS file on the SE hard
disk.

To change the IOCDS file on the SE hard disk, you must:

Update the IOCP source file.
Run the IOCP utility (topic IOCP)against the updated IOCP file. Specify
all options you normally specify including WRTxx (to write the newly
generated IOCDS file to the SE hard disk) and DYN (to define the hardware
configuration token). If the IOCP utility runs without errors, it
downloads the new IOCDS file to the SE hard disk.
Issue the SET IOCDS_ACTIVE command to make the new IOCDS file the active
file that the processor will use during the next power-on reset (POR).

Response 1:

To change the active IOCDS file to A3, enter the following:

set iocds_active a3
The active IOCDS file is now A3
Ready;Messages

HCP026EOperand missing or invalid
HCP6812ESet IOCDS_active command failed with return code nnnn
HCP6814ECommand is not valid on this processor

Notices | Terms of use | Support | Contact z/VM

Copyright IBM Corporation 1990, 2008
This information center is Built on Eclipse™ ( www.eclipse.org ).

PDF

The Lock-Step Philosophy

z/VM V5R4.0 I/O Configuration
SC24-6100-04

Recommendation
We strongly recommend that you use the Lock-Step method while making
dynamic I/O changes. This method enables you to ensure that:

All dynamic I/O changes conform to the hardware I/O configuration rules
The I/O configuration you create is saved and automatically available for
use during the next power-on reset of the processor (scheduled or
unscheduled).
The Lock-Step philosophy requires you to make permanent changes to the
processor's I/O configuration as you dynamically change the I/O
configuration on a running system.

The Lock-Step philosophy is:

Plan the changes to your I/O configuration.
Update your IOCP source file with the planned changes.
Validate the IOCP source file for incompatibilities and other errors by
running the updated IOCP source file through the IOCP utility on the CMS
system disk.
Note:
Specify all the options you normally specify, except the "WRTxx" option,
which writes the generated IOCDS file to the processor controller (PCE) or
support element (SE) hard disk. Instead, use the NOWRT option.

If there are no errors, continue to the next step
If there are errors, update the IOCP source file and validate it again.
Update your software I/O configuration and the hardware's (HSA) view of
the I/O configuration by issuing the appropriate CP dynamic I/O commands
that correspond to the changes you made in Step 2. (For descriptions of
the dynamic I/O commands, see the z/VM: CP Commands and Utilities
Reference.)
Note:
Using the dynamic I/O commands that are equivalent to the IOCP changes is
vital to ensure that the new IOCDS file matches the dynamic I/O changes.
Write your updated I/O configuration to the processor controller (PCE) or
support element (SE) hard disk by running the updated IOCP source file
through the IOCP utility on the CMS system disk.
Note:
Specify all the options you normally specify, including the "WRTxx" option
(which writes the newly-generated IOCDS file to the PCE or SE hard disk),
and also specify the DYN option (to define the hardware configuration
token).
Make the newly-generated IOCDS file the active IOCDS file using the CP SET
IOCDS_ACTIVE command:
   set iocds_active xxwhere xx is the 2-digit string you specified on the
"WRTxx" option of the IOCP utility. Depending on the type of processor you
have, xx may be in the range A0 through A5 or B0 through B5. The processor
will use this active IOCDS file during the next power-on reset (POR).
See Support Elements Operations Guide, SC28-6802 for hardware
configuration information.

Following the Lock-Step process prevents the hardware and software I/O
configurations from becoming mismatched. If a mismatch were to occur and
you needed to perform a power-on reset of the processor, neither the IOCP
source file nor z/VM would have the changes you made using the z/VM
dynamic I/O commands.

If you use the Lock-Step process, you will:

Know, at any time, what your I/O configuration looks like
Ensure that your I/O configuration is valid
Ensure that the I/O configuration defined in the hardware system area
(HSA) always matches the I/O configuration stored on the support element
(SE) hard disk
Ensure that a power-on reset (POR) of the processor will yield the same
I/O configuration after the POR as you had before the POR.
There is another process called Plug 'n' Play. In this process, you issue
the dynamic I/O commands, but do not update the I/O configuration stored
on the processor. While both processes work in some environments, we
strongly recommend that you use the Lock-Step process. If there is an
unscheduled power-on reset of the processor, using the Lock-Step process
keeps your dynamic I/O changes safe, while using the Plug 'n' Play process
causes the processor to use an IOCDS file that does not contain any of
your dynamic I/O changes. If it is important to have these dynamic I/O
changes on your system, The Plug 'n' Play process forces you to repeat the
task of changing your I/O configuration dynamically after the power-on
reset completes.

For example, suppose you use the Plug 'n' Play process to make some
dynamic I/O changes. Time passes. Some event occurs which causes you to
perform a power-on reset of your processor. Your dynamic I/O changes are
gone. If you really need those changes, you will have to either remember
what you did or keep good records because you have to make the same
changes over again.

If you had used the Lock-Step process, your dynamic I/O changes would have
been in the active IOCDS file that the processor used during the power-on
reset. You would not have to remember what you did or keep a record
because your changes are safe in the active IOCDS file.

Notices | Terms of use | Support | Contact z/VM

Copyright IBM Corporation 1990, 2008
This information center is Built on Eclipse™ ( www.eclipse.org ).

Marcy Cortes <marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com>
11/04/2010 04:06 PM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Dynamic IO Gens on boxes without z/OS?

> But, admittedly, I don't know as much about HCD as I should.  :-)

Don't we get Alan service hours as part of a z196 purchase or something?
(Buy 3 get Alan for a week?)

You're certainly welcome to come play.

Marcy