Ed,
Check if you are receiving two controllers with 1 drive each (as coded in
your IOCP) or one controller with 2 drives.
In the second case, the better IOCP is:

CU280    CNTLUNIT CUNUMBR=280,PATH=(61,71),                               X

               UNITADD=((00,16)),UNIT=3590

D0680    IODEVICE ADDRESS=(680,16),CUNUMBR=(280),UNIT=3590,               X

               UNITADD=00

Clovis

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

  |George Henke/NYLIC <george_he...@newyorklife.com>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

  |IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

  |05/11/2010 17:27

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

  |Re: 3592 cart iocp

|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>

  |The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

It is usually a good idea to predefine a full range of devices, control
units, etc,  to avoid future changes, dynamic or static, to the IOCDS.

 Edward M Martin <emar...@aultman.com>
 Sent by: The IBM z/VM Operating System
 <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>                                              To
                                                            ib...@listserv
                                                            .UARK.EDU
 11/05/2010 03:20 PM                                                    cc

                                                                   Subject
                Please respond to                           3592 cart iocp
          The IBM z/VM Operating System
            <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

Hello everyone,

Just a question about the IOCP gen of 3592 drives.

We are getting two IBM System Storage TS1120 Tape Drive Model E05 (3592
E05) with encryption.

Do I need to generate a full range of devices?  Seems that I remember that
z/VM likes to have full ranges even

If we physically only have 2 drives.

         CHPID PCHID=161,PATH=61,TYPE=CNC,SHARED      .ESCON 3590

         CHPID PCHID=171,PATH=71,TYPE=CNC,SHARED      .ESCON 3590

*

*            C H A N N E L    61, 71                    *

*             IBM 3592  TAPE DRIVES                     *

*

CU280    CNTLUNIT CUNUMBR=280,PATH=(61),                               X

               UNITADD=((00,16)),UNIT=3590

CU680    CNTLUNIT CUNUMBR=680,PATH=(71),                               X

               UNITADD=((00,16)),UNIT=3590

D0680    IODEVICE ADDRESS=(680,02),CUNUMBR=(280,680),UNIT=3590,        X

               UNITADD=00

Or should this be

D0680    IODEVICE ADDRESS=(680,16),CUNUMBR=(280,680),UNIT=3590,        X

               UNITADD=00

Ed Martin

Aultman Health Foundation

330-363-5050