We have z/VM on z10s that are both shared with z/OS and z/VM only (hosting
Linux).  On the z/OS systems, z/OS maintains the IODF and we let z/VM pick
up the changes dynamically.  On the z/VM only systems, we maintain the IOCDS
with IOCP and native CP commands to modify HSA.  In the past, we have also
had a share z/OS and z/VM system where z/OS maintained its IODF (software
view), exported the IOCP source and then we maintained the IOCDS and HSA
using z/VM.

It sounds like you have a situation where z/OS maintains the IODF and
IOCDS/HSA on most CECs but now you are going to have a machine with z/VM
only.  In that case, you could choose the native z/VM solution.  As has been
indicated, another option is to maintain the IODF with z/OS, transfer the
IODF to z/VM and use it with z/VM HCD.  The manual "How to Migrate your
Environment to z/VM HCD" has the deatils of how to do this.  I expect that
we will do something close to this in the near future.

I would be happy to chat more about your specific requirements if you have
more questions.

Rick Barlow
Nationwide Insurance