Are my posts not getting through, is the list not sending everything on
the same day it is sent, or are members responding to old posts before
reading all the way through the posts to see if there are already
corrections?

OK, so I had a "bad day" on 4 Nov 2010 when I posted that erroneous piece
of code.  Richard Schuh replied within minutes, pointing out a different
problem.  I responded by re-posting with Richard's fine suggestion in a
slightly different way.

Then on 9 Nov Alan Ackerman said what I had posted originally back on 4
Nov would not work for the reasons of the variable usage.  That was true,
but since a different solution had been posted late 4 Nov I did not
elaborate on the variable problem back then.

Earlier today 10 Nov, I explained why the use of the variable had "seemed"
to work when I actually did test it before the erroneous post back early
on 4 Nov.  Hasn't this particular horse been beaten to death for long
enough by now?  Can we claim it dead and buried?  The red blush on my
cheeks faded over a week ago, c'mon already - give me a break!   :-(

Dale Smith's post on this subject is an altogether better solution anyway.
 One should expect that critical DASD volume information that was used
during an IPL would be displayed as a documentary I-level message during
IPL anyway.  Some of this is already displayed, but a clean, concise
display of the volsers and rdev of the sysres, checkpoint, warmstart,
directory, parm disk, and the cylinder extents of each (even the sysres
since it could be a 2nd level system) would be useful diagnostic
information in the console log at a later date.  Some of that is already
available in various messages (displayed as they are discovered), but a
single set of messages, perhaps in response to a command would be useful
when things go bump in the dark.

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Kris Buelens" <kris.buel...@gmail.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
11/10/2010 01:37 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: How to determine SYSRES

This pipe below can never work as the author apparently expected, whatever
the piper might implement
'PIPE CP Q ALLOC ALL' ,
  '| TAKE LAST 1' ,
  '| CONSOLE' ,
  '| SPECS W6 1' ,
  '| VAR sysres' ,
  '| CP QUERY CPOWNED' ,
  '| PICK W2 == /'sysres'/' ,
  '| SPECS W2-* 1' ,
  '| CONSOLE'
Just think a bit.
It is a REXX EXEC, so REXX is reading the source lines, and replaces all
variables by their contents (or the uppercased variable name).  In the
case above: only 'sysres' is outside the quotes and replaced by whatever
value it has at that time.  All lines (but the last) end with a , so REXX
joins it to the presvious string with 1 blnk in between.
When REXX built this long string (from the 9 source lines), it sees it is
not an assigment, not an IF, ....  So it passes the string to the current
"address" (those that know me a bit know that I tell it should better be
COMMAND).
So the CMS command processor starts the PIPE command, and it gets this
long string to handle.  PIPE simply cannot know that part of the PICK
parameters ever were a runtime variable.
And, there is even a second error: the second CP stage.  It will first
pass QUERY CPOWNED as command to CP, and then the records it finds in its
input stream.  In this case the 6th word of the last line of Q ALLOC.  I
guess your IPL volser is not labeled LOGOFF ... you would have been very
surprised ...

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.