[please, let's snip those posts to reasonable size, eh?]

On Monday, 11/15/2010 at 09:41 EST, George Henke/NYLIC
<george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:
> The last itme in Doug's list is precisely the point.
>
> HLASM *IS* needed to create a Production IODF from  a source IOCP on
z/VM.

I think I see the point of confusion.

IOCP does not use HLASM.  However, if you want to take an existing IOCP
deck and migrate to *HCD* (CBDSMIGR), then you will need HLASM, as it is
used *by HCD* to create an initial IODF.  Once migrated, or if you build
your configuration manually in HCD, you don't need HLASM.

That said, I recommend that you purchase a high-level assembler from IBM
or Dignus.  You never need one until it's Really Really Important.  And
you won't discover that until you have an emergency.   But then it is too
late.

You also have to realize that "required" can be a misleading term.
Example:  ISPF is technically not *required* to run zSecure.  Yeah, right.
 You *could* run that way, but who *would*?

"Penny wise, pound foolish."

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training