Steve,

1) Do you know the volser, and the start and end cylinders of your MAINT
CF1 disk?
2) Do you have another z/VM system available (even your D.R. provider's
"Floor system")?

If the answer to both of those is yes, then you're home free...

- Shutdown your partly IPLed z/VM system with the bad config file.

>From MAINT on that other z/VM system, CP ATTACH your IPL volume to that
system:
- CP ATTACH rdev SYSTEM
- CP DEFINE MDISK EEE start_cyl end_cyl volser
- ACCESS EEE W
- XEDIT SYSTEM CONFIG W
- fix and FILE the config  file
- CPSYNTAX SYSTEM CONFIG W
- RELEASE W (DET
- Bring up your system with the corrected SYSTEM CONFIG file.
- Make note of what needs to be fixed when "back home".

For you, and anyone else who doesn't have one...
When home,
- build a 1-pack stand-alone rescue system.  Ours is called the "VM
Operating System Hipervisor Tool", and resides on a disk with a matching
volser: VMOSHT.  That volser is easy to remember, easy to find, and pretty
self-explanatory.  :-)
- Test that 1-pack stand-alone rescue system 2nd level (i.e. from your own
personal Class G userid, without any special DASD attached.  If it needs
resources that it doesn't have to come up to the point that MAINT can
issue CP DEFINE MDISK, then it's not a stand-alone recovery system.
- DDR that volser to tapes, and ensure that a copy is kept onsite, and a
copy at your offsite vault.

Good Luck!

Mike Walter
Aon Corporation
The opinions expressed herein are mine alone, not my employer's.

"Perez, Steve S" <sspe...@corelogic.com>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
02/17/2011 02:23 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DEVICES stmt in SYSTEM CONFIG

I do not have another filename to specify.  I can create one at a later
time after we finish this test because we have a time frame to get this
test to work, but in the meantime, is there an override command to the
DEVICES OFFLINE_AT_IPL statement in the SYSTEM CONFIG that I can use
through the the SALIPL screen ?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve S. Perez