On Thursday, 02/17/2011 at 04:15 EST, Sherry Everhart
<severh...@maccnet.com> wrote:
> Frank, no, we don't have TCP/IP running on 1st level VM.  (At least I
> don't think so!)
>
> And I don't understand the Filepool method that Alan spoke of either.
> Sorry, Alan, but mostly when you tell me things it all sounds a bit like

> when Charlie Brown's teacher talks....  (Good grief... :))
>
> And Dennis, I don't know how to get 4500 cylinders from a 3390-3 disk,
so
> that I can copy all the files on the dvds to a VM minidisk, which leads
me
> back to my first posting.

If you have a DVD, there are 5 ways to use it:
1. IPL it 1st level via the HMC.
2. Load its contents to an FTP server and IPL 1st level from
   the HMC
3. Load its contents to an FTP server and do a 2nd-level
   install.
4. Load its contents to a minidisk of at least 4500 cylinders and
   do a 2nd level install.
5. Use it as a Frisbee(R) and annoy the people around you.

And just so we're clear, the IBM Board of Directors recommends AGAINST #5
and is not supported.

For 2nd level install, you have two choices: 3 or 4.  If you don't have
4500 contiguous cylinders available, then #3 is your only choice.  To make
it work, you must enable TCP/IP on your 1st level system so that files can
be transferred.  If you haven't done that, go look at the IPWIZARD
references in the Automated Installation book.

In the above FTP scenarios, the "load its contents" is an abstract term
that could mean copy the files from DVD to disk, mount an .iso image as a
directory or a drive, or access the DVD directly.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices