This is all I have in SYSTEM CONFIG, so I guess it's ok?

/**********************************************************************/
/*                   System_Identifier Information                    */
/**********************************************************************/

    System_Identifier_Default zVM-81

Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
02/18/2011 11:44 AM
Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DEVICES stmt in SYSTEM CONFIG

That depends.. If you have CPUID's in the system config file then you will
need to update them for the new cpu.. On the other hand if you just have a
stetement like this you don't need to do anything.
System_Identifier_Default ZVMHOME

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 8:22 AM, George Henke/NYLIC <
george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:
Tom Huegel wrote:

>This technique requires you to know some things about the D/R system like
the CPUID etc

Why CPUID?

We are upgrading from z9 to z196 soon.

Is there a CPUID carried in SYSTEM CONFIG which I must change?

Tom Huegel <tehue...@gmail.com>
02/18/2011 11:15 AM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DEVICES stmt in SYSTEM CONFIG

Here is what I do.

In SYSTEM CONFIG file I have these statements.
 System_Identifier 2094 09A123 ZVMHOME
 System_Identifier 2817 09B123 ZVMDR

/**********************************************************************/
/*                     IMBED -SYSTEM- SYSTEM                         */
     IMBED -SYSTEM- SYSTEM
/**********************************************************************/

Then I have two files on CF1
ZVMHOME SYSTEM       <==== All of the system config statements for my home
system
ZVMDR      SYSTEM       <==== All of the system config statements for my
D/R system

This technique requires you to know some things about the D/R system like
the CPUID etc. you can use the different names throught the system to
decide if you are at home or at a D/R sught.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:01 AM, George Henke/NYLIC <
george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:
>The truly paranoid keep a .iso copy of the DVD in each location (or burn
>extra physical copies and keep it with your emergency ops manual).

Just because we're paranoid, does not necessarily mean everyone is not out
to get us.

Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
02/17/2011 09:23 PM

Please respond to
The IBM z/VM Operating System <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: DEVICES stmt in SYSTEM CONFIG

On Thursday, 02/17/2011 at 05:48 EST, Mike Walter
<mike.wal...@aonhewitt.com> wrote:

> If you're reading this and are new to z/VM, take one thing away... build

> stable (tested and rarely changed) 1-pack z/VM recovery system.  It
could save
> your job one day (or dark night).

The truly paranoid keep a .iso copy of the DVD in each location (or burn
extra physical copies and keep it with your emergency ops manual).  The
ramdisk-based installation system can be used to repair other systems.  It

will run even if nothing else will.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training