On Tuesday, 02/22/2011 at 06:00 EST, George Henke/NYLIC
<george_he...@newyorklife.com> wrote:
> DEV 9000, 9001, 9002 are changing to 9400, 9401, 9402
>
> Here is what I have now:
>
> TCPIP:  PROFILE EXEC
>
> 'Access 198 D'
> 'Access 591 E'
> 'Access 592 F'
> ATT 9000 TCPIP 9000
> ATT 9001 TCPIP 9001
> ATT 9002 TCPIP 9002
> ATT 9100 TCPIP 9100
> ATT 9101 TCPIP 9101
> ATT 9102 TCPIP 9102
> queue "EXEC TCPRUN"

I will pretend I didn't see that.  I'm not even seeing the lack of quotes
around the ATTACH commands.  Not looking.... La la la la la la....

> SYSTEM DTCPARMS:
>
> :nick.TCPIP     :type.server  :class.stack
> :nick.DTCVSW1   :type.server  :class.stack
>                 :owner.MAINT

> :nick.DTCVSW2   :type.server  :class.stack
>                 :owner.MAINT
>
> :nick.ROUTED    :type.server  :class.rip
> :nick.MPROUTE   :type.server  :class.mprout

I'll assume a cut/paste error.  That should be "mproute".

> :nick.FTPSERVE  :type.server  :class.ftp
> :nick.SMTP      :type.server  :class.smtp

Note that by putting all of those entries in SYSTEM DTCPARMS, you are
effectively cancelling any entry that IBM put on the matching :type.server
entry in IBM DTCPARMS.  I would suggest deleting all entries except for
TCPIP.  At the minimum, delete the DTCVSW1 and DTCVSW2 entries.

> I can change the TCPIP DIRECTORY entry like so:
>
> USER TCPIP TCPIP 128M 256M ABG
>  INCLUDE TCPCMSU
>  OPTION QUICKDSP SVMSTAT MAXCONN 1024 DIAG98 APPLMON
>  SHARE RELATIVE 3000
>  IUCV ALLOW
>  IUCV ANY PRIORITY
>  IUCV *CCS PRIORITY MSGLIMIT 255
>  IUCV *VSWITCH MSGLIMIT 65535
> * CHANGE SPECIAL FROM 9104 TO 9108 PER SAM  9/30/09
>  SPECIAL 9108 QDIO 3 SYSTEM OSALAN
>  LINK 5VMTCP40 491 491 RR
>  LINK 5VMTCP40 492 492 RR
>  LINK TCPMAINT 591 591 RR
>  LINK TCPMAINT 592 592 RR
>  LINK TCPMAINT 198 198 RR
>  COMMAND ATTACH 9400 TO * 9000
>  COMMAND ATTACH 9401 TO * 9001
>  COMMAND ATTACH 9402 TO * 9002
>  COMMAND ATTACH 9000 TO * 9000
>  COMMAND ATTACH 9001 TO * 9001
>  COMMAND ATTACH 9002 TO * 9002
>  MDISK 191 3390 2258 005 540W02  MR RTCPIP   WTCPIP   MTCPIP
>
> Is this correct?

Yes, except that COMMAND statement must be placed before any device
statements.

> Or I can modify DTCPARMS like so:
>
> :nick.TCPIP     :type.server  :class.stack :attach.9400-9402

In this case you must also modify PROFILE TCPIP to change the DEVICE
statement to point to 9400.  You could instead
    :attach.9400 9000, 9401 9001, 9402 9002

> If so, which would be preferable?
>
> I do not see a fallback if I modify DTCPARMS only.

:attach.9400(OPT) 9000, 9401(OPT) 9001, 9402(OPT) 9002(OPT),
9000-9002(OPT)

gives the same result.  If you don't put OPT in there, the TCP/IP startup
program won't throw an error if one of the devices if offline or the
attach fails.  Again, if you need more sophistication, use the :Exit. tag.
 Read Chapter 5 of the TCP/IP planning book for details on how to use
DTCPARMS files.

> But OTOH the DIRECTORY method does not look as permanent.
>
> Also why *COMMAND* in the DIRECTORY entry ATTACHes?
>
> I thought that is used only in EXECs?

COMMAND is a valid statement in the directory.  ATTACH is not.  Look in
the CP Planning book.

> Also can I abbreviate the ATTACH to ATT 9400 * 9000?

Yes, but don't.  IBM has changed the abbreviations of commands.
Abbreviations are for humans, not programs.

> Also, the DIRECTORY method has a nice fallback, but what if I corrupt
the TCPIP
> DIRECTORY entry when making the change.
>
> What is my fallback?  VTAM?

VTAM?  In general, no, since few systems have VTAM (and it isn't licensed
on IFLs).  OSA-ICC connections (preferred) or the integrated 3270 console
are how you access the system in case of TCPIP death.  In extreme cases,
the linemode integrated console can be used.  If you need to repair TCP/IP
in this mode, learn to use the ifconfig commands rather than XEDIT.  It's
easier than using a linemode editor.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training