From: "McKown, John" <john.mck...@healthmarkets.com>
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Sent: Wed, 16 March, 2011 1:53:27 AM
Subject: Re: moving members to a z/OS system

As I recall, the "best" way for them to get data is for you to use SENDFILE via
RSCS. It shows up in the JES SPOOL and the user can do a RECEIVE command to
reconstruct it. The receiver will need to use the RESTORE subcommand to specify
things such as the DSN since z/OS cannot handle CMS filenames.

This assumes you have an RSCS connection to their z/OS system.  I can't
remember
if it is possible for you to put their data in a CMS MACLIB and transmit that
in
such a way as to be usable on z/OS. I don't have a z/VM system any more <sigh>.

SENDFILE creates a "card image". If you don't have an RSCS link to them, you
could send it to yourself. It would then be in your virtual reader. You could
read that file onto your CMS disk, then ftp that file - assuming you have an
ftp
connection available. Or you can ftp it to your desktop in binary mode, zip it,
email it to the user, have them save the zip to their desktop, unzip it, then
binary ftp it to their z/OS system, then do a RECEIVE INDATASET on the disk
file. What a pain in the posterior!

I __think__ you can do this mos easily via

SENDFILE * * A* TO ZOSUSER@ZOS-SYSTEM

 John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT
Administrative Services Group
 HealthMarkets®
9151 Boulevard 26 • N. Richland Hills • TX 76010
(817) 255-3225 phone •
john.mck...@healthmarkets.com • www.HealthMarkets.com
HealthMarkets® is the brand name for products underwritten and issued by the
insurance subsidiaries of HealthMarkets, Inc. –The Chesapeake Life Insurance
Company®, Mid-West National Life Insurance Company of TennesseeSM and The MEGA
Life and Health Insurance Company.SM