No, adding empty slots requires an IPL of z/VM

It has been suggested to define all 255 slots directly, it doesn't cost
much.  And, the good news is that you don't even need to code the 255
statements in SYSTEM CONFIG as RESERVED, just code those to which a pack is
associated and one with number 255.  CP will fill in the holes
automatically.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support