From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU] On Behalf
Of Alan Altmark
Sent: May 20, 2011 3:56 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VM TCP/IP I/O error?

On Friday, 05/20/2011 at 02:02 EDT, "Horlick, Michael"
<michael.horl...@cgi.com> wrote:

> This morning we received the following message on the console of a TCPIP

> machine:
>
> DTCPKT089I Device LCS3: LAN task net type 1 adapter number 0 was
interrupted;
> restarting device
>
> I was told by IBM that this is a hardware issue presumably on the OSA
card. How
> can I find out the cause of this problem?

There is no "problem", per se.  That messages means that the OSA detected
an unplugged cable or a "dark" switch port.  Think of it as "loss of
carrier signal."  You will see this when someone reboots the switch.

You didn't say anything about what release of VM you are running.  In
early 2010, APAR PK92409 changed the behavior of the LCS device driver so
that in addition to the message above, you also get a message telling you
that the adapter will be restarted when an "adapter-initiated START LAN"
is received.  I.e., the carrier signal is heard.

APPLICABLE COMPONENT LEVEL/SU:
R530 PSY UK53847 UP10/01/28 P 1001
R540 PSY UK53848 UP10/01/28 P 1002
R610 PSY UK53849 UP10/01/28 P 1001