IPv4 addresses (the dotted decimal stuff) should be converted to
binary, one "octet" for each component.  It's fixed at 32 bits total,
so you can sort that reliably.

Personally, I would rather convert it to hex and sort that, but ...
ahhh the joy of EBCDIC collating sequence.  (Someone will jump in and
say the table can be changed, but I hate going there.)

You may also want to handle IPv6 at some point:  128 bits, represented
in hex, 16 bits for each component, one run of zeros can be squished
out.

Rick Troth
Velocity Software
http://www.velocitysoftware.com/