On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Schuh, Richard <rsc...@visa.com> wrote:

> After 48 years in the industry, involved with VM for the last 38 of them, I
> will be retiring early next month. I don't think it is possible to find a
> better group of people than the VM List. The professionalism, the
> willingness, even eagerness, to help others is outstanding. You have made my
> job easier. I wish you all the best. It has been nice, sometimes even fun,
> to know and work with such an exemplary group of people.

I think it is exemplary that such a contributor as yourself could make
such public commendation of your peers.  The VM community IS exemplary
and has been I dare say most of the time you have been involved, and
especially in our finest hours of severe challenge.  We have and
continue to accumulate leaders who understand the importance building
community for enabling SHARing and making common cause when such is in
everybody's best interest.  Even when big battles were lost and the
consequences increased our pain, we helped each other make the best
possible lemonade.  I, too, thank you for your impressive involvement
(you may have the major league record for never missing a game!).

I as well am not as young as I used to be (duh--to whom is that not
applicable?) but I cannot see ceasing to contribute just because my
financial support without billable hours is pretty well assured.  That
is not ever related to my belief that such assurance is invisible to
me if it even has a basis in reality, which I doubt.  To me retirement
means being at liberty to contribute at least 30 hours a week to one
or more projects that I would really like to succeed but that cannot
afford to compensate me for my effort.  This venerable project is one
such.

Thank you once again for making a big and positive difference and
enjoy what you will, knowing the VM community affirms you have earned
that plum in spades.