If you want to allow any LPAR to "grab" all of the unused memory, then
you can set the reserve memory to the available unused memory in all
LPARs.  What is actually available will show up as STANDBY storage in
z/VM and the rest as RESERVED.  Note that the amount of STANDBY
displayed may be the same on all LPARs, because the same unused
storage "pool" is available to all the LPARs.

--
Bruce Hayden
z/VM and Linux on System z ATS