----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Michelle Desilets <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: group enviro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2007 12:46:06 AM
Subject: [volunteer_schmutzer] Tune into Orangutan Diary for Episode 2

Tune in tonight for the second episode of Orangutan Diary on BBC1 at 7pm.
“Michaela Strachan and Steve Leonard present a series featuring orphaned and
rescued orangutans in Borneo. They help babies Lomon, Grendon and Ellie learn
how to behave like wild orangutans. It's a tough job - six years of love and
education that their mothers would have provided in the wild. Lomon is one of
the weakest orphans of all, and when a serious virus starts to spread at the
centre, Michaela fears that he may not survive.”
>From the Times today:
The future’s black for orangutans
The long-haired apes of the Borneo and Sumatra rainforests are rapidly being
driven to extinction by loggers in pursuit of palm oil riches. Penny Wark
reports on a desperate rescue operation
However disturbing the statistics on the destruction of the rainforests in
Borneo, watching it happen is infinitely more shocking, says Steve Leonard.
“The speed at which the diggers flatten everything is unbelievable. It goes
from being a lush green forest, cool and noisy, just this amazing variety of
life, to it looks like a nuclear bomb has gone off.” And with it the last
remaining habitat of the orangutan is instantly and brutally removed.
Leonard, the wildlife television presenter and vet, was in Borneo to film
Orangutan Diary, the BBC’s record of the conservation work being done to
support the threatened species, which is on every night this week. As the UN
environment programme report, The Last Stand of the Orangutan: State of
Emergency, says, the rainforests of Borneo and Sumatra are being cleared so
rapidly that by the early 2020s they are likely to have vanished. This means
that unless urgent action is taken, their most charismatic inhabitant, the
orangutan, will be extinct within five years.
The culprit is the palm oil industry which is responding to the worldwide
enthusiasm for what is often described as vegetable oil. Its green credentials
are impeccable: it can enhance a healthy diet, as a biofuel it can reduce
carbon emissions, and its ubiquity in such products as margarine, cereals,
soaps and shampoos makes it an important cash crop for Indonesia. But as the
Government hands out permits for palm oil plantations – and illegal loggers
remove valuable timber in most of the national parks – little is being done to
protect the displaced species, Leonard says.
“A huge area of Borneo has been deforested already and there are millions of
species possibly going to be lost – beetles, birds, other primates, mammals,
reptiles – the whole lot, and the scale and speed of it is unbelievable.
Whenever the companies were doing clearing operations we’d go to one of the
plantations to help rescue some of the orangutans.
“They spray everything with herbicide, so you’ve got this scorched earth. They
pile the remaining trees and everything into two big hedges – and who knows
what’s underneath them. All we could see were birds thrashing in the sky in
distress as their homes were destroyed, and you’re looking between your shoes
and you see beetles crawling away with nowhere left to go. Every time I
returned to the same spot in a plantation, within a matter of weeks the forest
is on the horizon again, a 20-minute drive away. We have to start shouting
about it because this area is going to disappear.”
The other focus of Leonard’s attention was the Borneo Orangutan Survival
Foundation, a rescue and conservation centre set up by Lone Droscher-Nielson, a
Danish former air stewardess who gave up her job ten years ago to save the
species. The Foundation’s aim is to rescue as many of the orangutans as
possible, and ultimately to return them to a protected area of the wild.
Some are literally plucked from the forest as the bulldozers move in. But the
problem of conserving them is exacerbated by the illegal trade in orphan
animals: they are kept as pets and often illtreated. There is no census of how
many creatures have been lost to deforestation, but it is estimated that for
every orangutan that is rescued, five more have died.
Leonard’s skill with animals and televisual presence was first noted ten years
ago in the BBC’s Vets School. Vets in Practice followed and he has since
travelled around the world with the BBC Natural History Unit.
“I’ve always been fond of orangutans,” he says. “Chimps are a bit too
aggressive and noisy, gorillas are sedate and regal but don’t do a great deal.
Orangutans are inquisitive, there’s a real comedic aspect to them, they are
very gentle, slow moving. But at the same time, because of the nature of the
habitat they live in, they have to be a lot more inventive than their cousins
from Africa. They live in a harsher environment, food is scarcer and they have
to rely on their nous rather than hanging around in social groups where things
are on tap.”
So far he has spent nine weeks in Borneo, engaged as a presenter and, in an
unplanned capacity, as an emergency vet. The biggest procedure that came his
way was the removal of the eye of an orangutan called Chenchen. The procedure
was similar to many he has performed on domestic animals in his native
Cheshire, but what surprised him, he says, was the response he got from his
patient afterwards.
“I was able to reach in through the bars of his hospitalisation cage and stroke
his head and have a look. He would pick bits of his bedding out, or bits of
food, and slowly hand them out through the cage to me. Then he’d just want to
hold my hand and it was weird for me to have that very human response in a
patient-doctor relationship.
“It’s all fire brigade work at the moment, rushing in and rescuing and trying
to find new homes. They’re like little orange refugees. They come in under a
year in age, they are nursed back to health and then they’re put through school
where a team of dedicated local women called the babysitters feed them, show
them what plants to feed on in the forest, how to find water – all the things
they would have learnt during their nine-year childhood with their mother.
“There’s a lot of scepticism about whether it’s possible to rehabilitate them,
but it’s not going to be possible if nobody tries. The first wave of
rehabilitation may not work, but every time we do this we stand a chance of
learning more about it.”
This week Leonard returns to Borneo to watch the first of the orphans being
released. “Lone said, you’ll fall in love with one, and for me that was
Grendon. He was a 2½-year-old who was already at the centre, he looked like
Homer Simpson, was about as bright and made me laugh every time I spent time
with him in the forest. The babysitters knew every single ape by name, what
they needed, what they liked, which ones needed a bit more comfort, more food,
which ones liked to be left alone.
“You can’t help but pick up on their different personalities; they really do
have incredibly individual traits. So we get to see these really cute
characters. But there are very sad moments too and we don’t shy away from
that.”
Steve Leonard’s Orangutan Diary is broadcast daily until Friday from 6pm-7pm on
BBC One. www.savetheoranguta n.org.uk
http://www.timesonl ine.co.uk/ tol/news/ world/article160 3381.ece
Newsround-Orangutan Diary in photos
http://news. bbc.co.uk/ cbbcnews/ hi/newsid_ 6510000/newsid_ 6519700/6519781.
stm
24 Orangutans to be released this week:
http://news. bbc.co.uk/ cbbcnews/ hi/newsid_ 6510000/newsid_ 6519500/6519513.
stm

Michelle Desilets, Director
Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation UK
www.savetheoranguta n.org.uk
"Primates Helping Primates"

NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: [EMAIL PROTECTED] an.org.uk

.

---
bagian Edukasi Pusat Primata Schmutzer - TMR

http://educationschmutzer.multiply.com/
http://www.primata.or.id/

+62-21-788 47105 [phone]
+62-21-788 47155 [fax]

Wish you have a Great Day!" -- Ida Arimurti

Jangan lupa simak IDA ARIMURTI&FRIENDS SENIN HINGGA JUMAT di 99,1 DELTA FM
Jam 4 sore hingga 8 malam dan kirim sms di 0818 333 582.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: