On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:15 PM, Vamsee Kanakala <vkanak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if I get the context right, but I've been considering going
> for an SSD soon, as my test suite is getting unbearably slow as the
> project expands. Doubling the RAM didn't really buy me any significant
> performance gain.

Ensure you are running a 64bit distro to take full advantage of
additional RAM.

> I've heard from quite a few developers that SSDs do
> help a lot in this case.

Is your computer a laptop or desktop or server?

Is your test suite disk IO bound, network bound or processor bound?

Is the test suite read or write intensive or both?

Can you put in a RAID array with multiple SAS drives to handle the
extra IO load?

Reference performance figures for HDDs:

SATA 7.2k RPM -- 80 IOPs, streaming read and write: 40MB/s and 20MB/s

SAS/FC 15k RPM -- 180 IOPs, streaming read and write: 80MB/s and 60MB/s

SSD -- 3000 IOPs, read and write performance: 100-300MB/s and 100-150MB/s

Unless your OS/disk supports SATA TRIM command, writes to SSD imposes
an erase before write penalty which will kill write performance.

SSD is great for small random IO, but for sequential IO the performance
delta between FC/SAS is smaller.

Some price figures for enterprise SSDs, these typically go into
SAN arrays:

For enterprise storage arrays: 400GB is USD 20,000 list!!
For mid range storage arrays: 400GB is USD 6,000 list!!

- Raja