Hi,

On 03/15/2011 04:22 PM, Raja Subramanian wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Vamsee Kanakala<vkanak...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>  ... I trigger the full test suite often enough on my workstation (4GB
>>  RAM, 160GB SATA, Ubuntu 10.10 x32) to make this a pain point. So my next
>>  iteration of upgrade I think, would be something like 8GB RAM,
>>  (compatible) SSD, Ubuntu 11.04 x64.
>
> On your current box run the test suite, data, DB out of a RAM disk
> or tmpfs.  A clean chroot test environment on a 4-8GB RAM disk will
> work faster than any HDD/SSD.  And much cheaper too.
>
> Sync the RAM disk state to HDD periodically so to ensure persistence.
> Syncing can run in background to minimize performance impact.

This is a very interesting approach. Going beyond periodic syncing, one of the
things I've been planning to try out (although never got around doing) is to
setup my dev environment (ie: app server including the db) on a ramdisk, which
is disk backed up as part of a raid to a loopback mounted disk image :) !
...this is something suggested by someone on IRC -- not sure of the practical
benefits, but it sounds like a nice idea.

I'll try to get it done this weekend.

cheers,
- steve

--