On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Raja Subramanian
<rajasuper...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unlike hardware RAID controllers, mdadm may not support true hot swap.
> You may have to disable/offline the disk in mdadm before removing it from
> the server chassis -- reboot is definitely not needed.

I was also doubtful about mdadm being able to support controlling the
hot swap bay LED.   I suspect the failed disk would be taken out of
the array by mdadm anyway.  I am not sure if disabling the disk would
be required.

I have concluded that it is best to go with a h/w raid controller.

Thanks.

-- Arun Khan