I've done this is in the past. (2000-2002) and was part of a embedded Linux
district team. Built a device and a product. Used to convert old PCs into
gateways too.

Look up LEAF firewall. pFSense looks to be the best packaged version right
now for firewall. You must look at a gateway package and then choose the
platform. Eg one that supports firewall, proxy, AV, qos, 802.1x etc....

You'll find hardware with 5.to 8 Ethernet ports on a book PC from Taiwan or
even bare metal networking boxes, as is the trend now from Dell, HP etc.

You can write to me or talk to me if you want to discuss this further.

Regards
Mohan Sundaram
Mobile mail, please pardon autocomplete /autoreplace typos