Hi, all,
As a long-time reader of this list, I know there are a number of you
out there who tend multiple computer installations, including mixed Mac
and MS-based PC ones. I would like some justifications/talking points
to bolster my view that for a small (3-4 computer) church office,
staying with our all-Mac installation is cost-effective as we are being
pushed to replace them all with Windows systems. Currently, we have an
old 700 MHz G3 (OS 10.3.9) iMac, a 1.25 GHz eMac (OS 10.3.9), and a
2-yr-old 1.5 GHz 15" Powerbook (OS 10.4.11), all on a CAT5e LAN via a
5-port switch, an 802.11g 4-port wireless router (running wrt firmware)
and a Comcast-supplied cable modem. Most of what we do is word
processing and document production for church programs, as well as the
usual Internet connectivity things like email and web access. All
systems have MS Office 2004 and Filemaker 7.1 - we use the latter for a
variety of database functions such as purchase order tracking, etc. The
eMac also has Virtual PC installed that is used to run an OLD Windows
98 calendar program that we like.

My stance, being the one who set most of this up about 4-5 years ago,
is that we (a) don't have anyone to watch over an office LAN all the
time as needed for a Windows-based environment, (b) we couldn't afford
it if we did and there is no one in the church who can do it gratis,
(c) replacing all the Office and Filemaker software would be extremely
expensive, and (d) the inevitable decline in security would result in a
major breach in short order. I would much prefer to buy 3 new iMacs
(will need another for a new staff member) and upgrade the Powerbook to
Leopard, keeping all the existing software and/or upgrading as required
(already have FM 9 ready to go).

So, experts, what say you?
(and thanks in advance for your sage advice)

Ramon Tate
Rockville, Maryland