I've always wondered if anyone actually paid attention to what I said. Yes,
Apple is a hardware company and yes, Apple is a software company at the same
time because they don't outsource the writing of the OS to an outside third
party, which is what all the other Windows based computer makers must do in
order to have some form of compatibility. Yes, Apple does make money off their
hardware, which also meets higher standards and is less likely to have
hardware  failures. They don't need to charge as much as Microsoft does for
their
operating systems either. There are 5 different versions of Vista, and maybe 2
for OS X.5 unless of course I'm wrong about that.

Yes, it would be illegal to install one copy of OS X to multiple computers
that might be in use all at the same time, and their EULA also precludes that
as  well. It's based more on the honor system than anything else. When
Microsoft  comes out with a new OS, they price it for maximum profit potential
which
encourages people to either use older versions of it, or find ways around the
licensing requirements. In some Middle Eastern countries, a legal copy of
Windows XP can be had for less than $10 and it's because they use the same key
for the entire country, unlike here in the US, they know they can make a bunch
 of money off everyone. I believe Apple would rather have people using the
newest  OS so they can encourage more people to buy Macs of all sorts. If you
have an  older Mac, eventually it won't run the newest OS out there so you have
to buy a  newer Mac. I've found that I can take my eMac which is several years
old and  still run 10.5 which is really great. Show me a 4 or 5 year old
Windows based  machine that will run any version of Vista well. That is why an
iMac or any Mac  is always better in the long run.

In a message dated 9/22/2008 10:53:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  Apple is a hardware company that hppens to make the OS that is  specific
> to their hardware so it fits like a custom tailored suit.  Microsoft, on
> the other hand, makes the software that runs on  everyone's hardware so
> it's like buying an off the rack suit. Because  that is where they make
> their money, they have to have a licensing  scheme of sorts. Yes, it is
> possible to load the Apple OS onto many  computers, which is illegal,
> but Apple doesn't make their money on the  OS at all. That is why a
> family pack is really affordable unlike  buying Windows Vista! The OS
> X.5 does everything & you don't have  to buy different versions of it to
> get what you need.

Actually,  Apple is emphatically a software company. You will notice
they do not allow  their OS to be installed on any hardware but their
own, to provide an  integrated, top quality experience for users, but
certainly to make a  profit as well. Their OS license is like that of
most vendors of  proprietary software: one copy for one computer, with
a possible exception  if a single user installs it on a desktop
computer and a laptop, when they  are not in simultaneous use. Sure,
that is hard to enforce, which never  makes illegal actions legal. Do
the right thing...

The reference to  "model-specific" probably meant that an OS disc was
designed for a specific  Mac model. That is sometimes true for the disc
shipped with the computer,  but you can buy a copy of the Mac OS from
any authorized Apple dealer and  load it on any Mac with the  necessary
capabilities.