depending on what the icon looks like, depends on whether you can open it.
if it looks like it's broken, you can't. have you tried just clicking on it?
you could also control click (right click if you have such a mouse) and see
if you get a drop down menu to save it to disk. then do a get info on the
icon and see what kind of file it is and report back.
kari