On Feb 19, 2009, at 5:09 PM, imac_chips99 wrote:

> How to Install Classic OS 9 Support in OS 10.3

Classic support is different from booting in OS 9. Classic doe snot
require the OS 9 disk drivers, but only runs as a process under OS X.

Booting requires the OS 9 disk drivers to be installed.

> I had the MAC 10.3 install format the drive and do a fresh install but
> I lost MAC OS 9.

> How can I install MAC OS 9 on the same partition as 10.3? Can I just
> copy a backup of my system folder and rename it something like
> system9?

IF you want to boot into OS 9:

It all depends on how you installed OS X. If it was a fresh install,
ie: erase the hard drive and install OS X, sad to say, I suspect
you're going to have to do it again, and this time, when you reformat
the drive, check the little box at the bottom of that dialog box to
"Install OS 9 drivers", otherwise OS 9 cannot find the hard drive.

Once that's done, simply boot from your OS 9 disk and install as
usual, just don't reformat the drive again! :-)

> Once OS 9 is installed, how can I have the computer bootup in just
> OS 9 without X running?

Two ways: In either OS, go into System Preferences/Startup disk or
control panels/startup disk, and select the OS 9 system folder for
booting.

Alternatively you can hold down the option key while booting until
you're given the choice of systems to boot from.

You can get OS 9.2.2 for Classic use for free without having to
reformat the disk by following these excellent instructions:
<http://www.simonroyal.co.uk/2009/02/get-os-922-for-free.html

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona