On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:59 PM, Al wrote:

>> This means that if you delete an email from any computer
>> looking at your IMAP inbox, the next time one of the other computers
>> connects it will be gone AND the local cached copy will also be
>> deleted.
>
> Does this include deleting copies that I might drag into my own folder
> under "On My Mac"?

No. This only applies to mailboxes that live on the server, which get
synchronzed to your mac. If you make a copy to a local folder that's
there forever, or until your hard drive dies.

>> With an IMAP account you're never really away from all your mail,
>> unless you cannot get to the internet.
>
> In practice, for consumer level accounts, what is the longevity of
> IMAP server contents, months? years?

Technically speaking, so long as the server is maintained, backed up
and run properly, forever.

My pharmacy mail account 'inbox' (and other server folders) dates from
1994. Of course that was four mail servers and five client systems
ago...

>  On termination of active account
> by either party?  GB size limits?

That depends on the contract you have with the provider. Most mail
providers will delete your email when you leave their service, and it
will certainly be gone if they go out of business. For example we let
our students keep their mail addresses for at least a year after they
leave, to give them time to get transitioned to a new address
somewhere. On the other hand, the university's mail system (we run our
own mail server) chops you 30 days after graduation...poof.

Most also have quotas, although with the advent of Google's 2GB mail
quota, that's been less of an issue. We've made the decision to not
apply quotas on our system, simply because that pushes institutional
data out to the desktops where it's least protected as far as backups
and such go.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona