On Feb 23, 11:12 am, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2009, at 1:59 PM, Al wrote:
>
> >> This means that if you delete an email from any computer
> >> looking at your IMAP inbox, the next time one of the other computers
> >> connects it will be gone AND the local cached copy will also be
> >> deleted.
>
> > Does this include deleting copies that I might drag into my own folder
> > under "On My Mac"?
>
> No. This only applies to mailboxes that live on the server, which get
> synchronzed to your mac. If you make a copy to a local folder that's
> there forever, or until your hard drive dies.

Thanks again, Bruce.  My wife and I now understand the advantages of
IMAP, but we find that the IMAP model would not work for us.  We have
three Macs, we each have individual accounts, and we have one joint
account for items of mutual interest and family business.  On separate
computers, we handle some items in that joint POP account differently
without interfering with each other's interests.  That would not work
with IMAP.

Al Poulin