Hi all,

I haven't paid much attention to new releases since '04, so I'm
looking for advice on where the "sweet spot" is in flat panel iMacs. I
could go with new, but I've had good luck with refurbs and with used
machines, and the budget it tight so cheaper would be very welcome.

For background - my wife's Tangerine conked out in '04, so I got her a
refurb G4 (1.25ghz 20") just as the G5s were being announced (I liked
the price, and the fact that it could still boot OS 9). I fixed the
tray-load 266 and used it to replace my 7200/90 until I found a Flower
Power on eBay. Wifey fell in love at first sight with the 500mhz slot-
loader, and gave me her G4. I wish I could say I planned it that way
but really I am just lucky.

So now it's '09, and I can deal with the lack of DVD support, but the
15" screen and 500mhz CPU just aren't cutting it anymore (even with
1gb RAM installed). Also we've been running 10.3 and it feels like
time to upgrade that too (TurboTax online doesn't seem to be working
right, I want an upgraded iPhoto, and everytime I boot iTunes it gives
me an irritating upgrade message that's not even compatible with 10.3)
- and I'd prefer not to have to support multiple operating systems at
home.

I was hoping Dan would have posted a "Guide to flat panel
iMacs" (hint), but between the individual profiles and the "value
equation" articles it's easy enough to pick up the specs. That doesn't
tell me a lot about the relative merits and demerits though.

We're also looking at laptops, but my Duo 250 and her eMate really
never got used as much as our iMacs.

So what does everyone think? Should I pick up a second G4, upgrade to
G5, Or make the jump to Intel?

Thanks!
Owen