On Apr 19, 2009, at 1:24 PM, owen wrote:

> I took it apart again (this time all the way) and can't find any
> pinched wires. If I look thru the exhaust holes in the top, I can see
> the fan blades twitching - like the fan is trying to start but
> failing. They jerk about 1/8 inch, then fall back and bounce a little.
> This happens about every second.
>
> Any ideas?

Either the fan isn't getting enough electricity, or it has an internal
problem such as a seized bearing or shorted wiring. Can you get the
blades to spin freely?

At this point you probably should replace the fan unit with a known
good one, preferably an Apple/G4 iMac fan. I say this because any
3-9/16-inch-square by 1-inch-deep fan that turns clockwise and blows
up/away (when viewed from the label side) should work. But the
horizontal slits around the fan case were designed to help suck in air
from the periphery of the dome and thus enhance the iMac's cooling, so
just any old fan most likely won't work as well as the Apple design.

I'm not sure if all G4 iMac fans had the same specs, but one I pulled
from a G4 1 GHz 15" iMac is a Superred model made by Cheng Home
Electronic S., Ltd., China. It's DC 12 volts, 0.26 amp, model
CHA9212DS-TF.

Jim Scott