On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM, emelvy <halbe...@esper.com> wrote:

> On Apr 20, 1:31 pm, "./aal" <aalh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 6:59 AM, Owen Strawn <owenstr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > How about Marvel Mystery Oil?
>>
>> definitely better than wd40 (wd40 dries to a goo rapidly)
>> marvel is probably fine
>> 3in1 oil is good too
>>

> Decades ago I read nasty comments about 3-in-1 oil ("Cleans-Lubricates-
> Protects").  The claim was that it was really a heavier grade of oil
> thinned out by a volatile solvent.  When the solvent evaporated after
> the oil had been put on a small-diameter shaft, the residual heavy oil
> would become thick and prevent free rotation of the shaft.  There were
> also complaints that the additives for the Clean and Protect functions
> were harmful to fine parts, perhaps causing corrosion.  The conclusion
> was that the benefits you got from the lubrication were only temporary
> and eventually your rotating parts would be worse off than before.
>
> Whether today's 3-in-1 product is better than it used to be is unknown
> to me, but I have alway chosen Singer Sewing Machine Oil for delicate
> parts.  My experience has been good with this product.   However, I
> just noticed that the container it comes in has a safety warning not
> to drink it since it contains petroleum distillates -- does this mean
> that it too has a volatile solvent?

all petroleum based oil is a petroleum distillate
the lighter the oil the closer it is to a volatile solvent
after all they separate crude by heating it to distill the oils based
on their volatility
so take the component info you glean from the warning label with a grain of salt

I can see that about 3n1 oil (WD-40 is a more extreme case of what you
describe),
 so I withdraw its recommendation

and, coincidentally, sewing machine oil IS #10 machine oil :^)

you can get a spray can of slicone oil (not grease)
it will have a long straw to inject the oil into the bearing which
could wash out any binding hair/dirt
it does not turn sticky either, but it is super light so reapplication
may be needed if a lube is all the fan needed

as a side note,
silicone oil is also a great conditioner for the rubber seals around
your car doors, trunks, windows, etc

--
-- NOT sent from an iphone,blackberry,Nokia, or any handheld. --

I'm a PC(x86 AND ppc)
AND I RUN LINUX!!!
Linux is like ice cream. It comes in many flavors and everyone has
their favorite, but we all get the same smile regardless of which we
choose to scoop.
-
I. F. Stone  - &quot;If you live long enough, the venerability factor
creeps in; first, you get accused of things... -
http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/30704.html