Got it. The reason I never noticed this was when I turned TM on, it
put up a screen that hid all my desktop. But this time, turning it on
from the menu bar, it stayed sane. Thanks.

Don Hinkle
See my website at
http://web.mac.com/donhinkle/Penny_Crusade-Kill_Hitler/Adolf_Hitler_the_Anti-Hero.html

  and download a free novel by me!

On Apr 22, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Apr 21, 2009, at 12:30 PM, Don Hinkle wrote:

> When I start Time Machine, the only way I can tell that it's backing
> up my HD is that the light on the external HD is blinking. Same with
> when it's finished: the blinking stops. Isn't there a part of TM that
> will say: "backing up" and "Done"? If so, how do I activate it?

Go into Time Machine prefs and check the box 'Enable time machine
status in the menu bar', when it's backing up the little Arrow and
clock hands rotate counter clockwise :-)

You can also click on it to see how much was done and how much is left
to do, whether or not the last run was successful etc.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona