Hey everyone, I have a late 2006 17" Core 2 Duo iMac. I got it about
two years ago, June or July of 2007. Lately, I've been having some
weird problems with it, seemingly OS related. There are a couple of
things that are bugging me:
1. It takes a really long time to start up, it hangs on the grey
screen for about 5 minutes, and it didn't do this before. I did
upgrade it to have 3Gb of RAM, and a 500Gb HD. I haven't found any way
online to reset the firmware...
2. In 10.5.7, random things have trouble. One of these being dragging
in certain applications, notibly iTunes, where after about 5 minutes I
can't move songs at all, when I click and drag, it acts like I just
clicked and didn't keep dragging. I tried re-installing iTunes,
deleting my iTunes prefs, and also deleting iTunes completely, and
reinstalling it from scratch, and also moving my iTunes library... In
Final Cut Express, I can't drag the playhead for more then a few
seconds, and then it lets go, even when I don't let go of the mouse.
GoLive does the same thing as iTunes. So does the finder, but only in
Icon and List view. (I'm not able to drag files around...)
3. Random freezes. These started recently.. A few days ago, I logged
out of my account (Which I don't do very often) and when I came back a
few hours later and tried to log it, it had frozen. A couple times I
had something very strange happen... The desktop froze. the Finder was
fine, I could move and browse the finder windows I had open, but the
icons on the desktop acted like they weren't there. Then today, I
activated Spaces, and when I tried to click on a space, it locked up.
A couple times it hasn't woken from sleep. Other then all this, it
works fine, I don't have any other problems, or any other crashes
other then what I stated. All these things don't effect me much, and
there are ways around them. However... I'm pretty sure this means
something is wrong in my system.
I've run permissions checks, disk checks, Disk Warrior, and the
hardware test. A few months ago I tried an Archive and Install, with
moving my user info back. None of this has made any difference.
Anything else to try before a complete archive and install without
moving my user data back??
Thanks everyone for reading through all this.. and thanks for any help
you could give me.